Friday, April 23, 2010

taste

I'm beginning to think that my approach to art has been all wrong. While I've been bogged down with the mundanities of personal vision, integrity, beauty vs. truth, and all the age-old questions artists ask, I've totally neglected attending to what really matters: fashion. I've also forgotten about the cult of personality. From watching attention-getting artists as diverse as Damien Hirst and Hazel Dooney I can't help but wonder if what I really need is a big schtick.

This book, while tearing down the culture of taste, might actually serve as a sort of reverse "how to" manual.

...authentic ways of talking, making judgments or artistic preferences are simply the latest fashion statements, earnest attempts to fill an intellectual and spiritual vacuum that don't pick out any real properties in the world.

But for a truly analytical look at the absurdity of taste, this is the place to go. The entry on Banksy does a bang-up job of wrapping up taste in art in a neat little package. And I love this:

If you find all of this to simply be too much work and wish to ensure that white people will never speak to you about art again, there is an easy escape. Simply mention your favorite artist is Thomas Kinkade and that you are in negotiations to purchase an original from the store in the mall. This will effectively end any friendship you have with a white person.

I know, I know. I need to get off the interwebs NOW if I want to
retain any sense of my own direction and get some real work done. But first I need to hire a wife.

13 Comments:

Blogger p said...

i'm the only white person i know who dislikes banksy's stuff. i'm tired of it and dont get it. having said that, i respect what he does and am probably just jealous.
and a gallery owner who sells nothing but kinkade in the front of the gallery wants some of my work for the back of the gallery, so i dont mind riding on his ripples if it gets me some art sold. while i dislike his style, again, thank god we all do things differently and people enjoy something. baby steps....

as for a shtick or something, i'd hate to think thats what it takes to 'make it'. perhaps thats why i run whenever i see someone with a shtick. banksy....or god i can't remember his name, the guy who did the obama poster. shticks? talent? guess it all depends... its all a bit heady for me.

23/4/10 9:56 a.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

It must be true if it's in Stuff White People Like..funniest book ev-verrrr :)

I am loving the Flicker, it's my favorite bird.

23/4/10 10:23 a.m.  
Blogger San said...

Thomas Kinkade, painter of light, painter of dollar signs.

23/4/10 1:36 p.m.  
Blogger dinahmow said...

"I may not know much about art, but I know what I like." [insert bouncing smiley]
Well, someone had to say it, right?

23/4/10 2:56 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Paula: I'm having a hard time imagining your art in the same gallery as Kinkade's. That would be the definition of eclectic!

Donn: Me too. I saw one pounding the crap out of a metal playground obstacle today. Not too bright maybe?

San: ooo -- I like that. I'm imagining one of his winter house paintings within the lines of a big, bubble-lettered dollar sign.

Di: Thank you. That was *almost* the title of the post. :)

23/4/10 3:44 p.m.  
Blogger donna said...

I wouldn't mind Kinkade so much if he actually painted them, instead of the pictures being painted by a small village of artists in China...

Banksy was fun for a while, but the shtick is getting old.

23/4/10 7:08 p.m.  
Blogger LDahl said...

You don't need a shtick, just paint...and then paint some more.
If you are doing it mainly for $, better quit for awhile and get a day job until you need to paint for you.
Your work is beautiful. It really means something, let it take you where you need to go.

24/4/10 12:20 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Donna: Then again, at the other end of the spectrum, Damien Hirst'd work is mostly done by assistants, too!

Lilah: I was just being facetious. Again. (I know -- it's getting old.)

24/4/10 1:15 p.m.  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

yer funny ;)
your unending quest for a howto guide slays me girl :D but you are persistant!
So the problem with the whole quest for authentic is that it is totally an external thing with these peeps. Buying authenticity is a bit different than just being a real person, hahaha :D

24/4/10 2:35 p.m.  
Blogger LDahl said...

Dang! I missed that. Again. I think I'm around too many people that are really like that. It's sad, they want the fast track and don't care how they get there. Here I was worried about you. :))) Silly me!

24/4/10 3:51 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Val: Buying authenticity ~ yes! Right to the meat of the sandwich as usual! As for my quest, it says a lot more about me than about art. :)

Lilah: Then again, my way sure doesn't pay the bills like the way I describe here... Hmmm ....

24/4/10 4:42 p.m.  
Blogger Julie said...

Thomas Kinkade! Don't get me started but you did. I have had so many art shows for my work where people love to tell me how much they love his art and want to show me his latest print that they've bought(when you are trying to make a buck yourself and they don't buy your art...grrrrrr). I've done a lot of house portraits myself ( in the PAST) but that's where the comparison stops. You can see some on my blog: laughinghorseart.blogspot.com

25/4/10 7:21 a.m.  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Damn it, I've got an ancient pea jacket that I absolutely love. Oh, wait a minute, I am a 'white guy', so of course I love it. Oh, and I also hated high school.

26/4/10 11:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home