Saturday, April 10, 2010

colouring inside the lines

I'm a blogging fool these days. Of course it's easy when you have great resource people spoonfeeding you material.

Then again, maybe I'm just a fool.
This article in today's Winnipeg Free Press has unaccountably depressed me. I think it just drove home to me the fact that what the average art buyer purchases is not what I like (or like to produce). A disproportionate number of my own sales have gone to other artists. I'm honoured that those who understand art like what I produce, but artists are few and far between and, unlike some of the more commercially (key word) successful artists in the article, tend to colour outside the lines. In a convoluted way this article actually proves rather than dispels the notion of the starving artist.
Though the journalist talks about artists who "defy the sterotype" he goes on to mention that the average Manitoba artist makes just $11,181 per annum. That said, of the Winnipeg artists mentioned, I do love many of the cityscapes of Larry Rich.

Urban Aqua
Larry Rich

But enough about the commercial end of the business. If I found that disillusioning, then this was enlightening,
Ed Maskevich's follow-up to my blog post about using his artwork as a model.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dale Anne Potter said...

Here is a link to a 2008 survey in Saskatchewan:
http://www.artsalliance.sk.ca/?p=advocacy&id=182

10/4/10 1:12 p.m.  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I didn't mean to upset you with the article in the Wpg Depress, I wondered what you would think and say about "amiable impotence".

:)

10/4/10 3:45 p.m.  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

I think that is The Bay parkade downtown in Larry Rich's painting... At least, that is what it looks like to me. Of course, I may be totally wrong.

I don't have anything on my walls yet... How sad is that. Will you sell me your little barren trees? I love that one.

10/4/10 6:10 p.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

That article truly was depressing. It's hard, sometimes, to be in the minority of people with good taste. Ha! Ed's work is gorgeous. Such tension in the composition and colour! What a lovely reply he gave you.

10/4/10 7:06 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

Dale Anne: Thanks. Not so different, is it?

Donn: Nuthin' I didn't know already, just depressing that the journalist wasn't more analytical. (Is that his nickname? :)

Ponita: I'm coming right over to lash you with a wet noodle. Which little barren trees? (I seem to have a penchant for them and have done a few...)

Kelly: Hee hee. I wish more people had taste as good as ours! I love Ed's work. Even have one or two.

10/4/10 8:33 p.m.  
Blogger Ellen said...

I do like that Larry Rich painting and Ed's work too. The article didn't depress me. I remember the early days of Ebay with some artists on there making full time incomes, a few in the low 6 figure range. One artist who did said he had to constantly change his style so his collectors wouldn't get bored and would keep buying. The opposite of what's expected of artists. Now that feels like art whoring to me, but whatever, the average person just wants nice pictures on their wall.

11/4/10 12:16 p.m.  
Blogger Ponita in Real Life said...

The trees in your art apprenticeship post! The barren trees with the purple sky... I love that one!

*dodges wet noodle*

13/4/10 6:03 p.m.  
Blogger Melody said...

I like Ellen's comment and think I'll now use the phrase "art whoring" cause it's kinda catchy....

15/4/10 8:37 a.m.  
Blogger San said...

Although I didn't click to read the article, as a gallery owner who hears the comments of John Q. Public every day, yes, I'm in the same boat: most people don't like what I like. Fortunately, there are enough who do to keep me going.

23/4/10 1:51 p.m.  
Blogger andrea said...

San: Always delightful to get feedback from the other side.

23/4/10 3:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home